CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Moderation

Why is it so hard for people to grasp the concept of moderation?

I'm talking in the context of eating and exercising, but I'm sure the lesson can be applied elsewhere.

My mom forwarded me an article this morning that was about a study done in which rats were either given saccharin (like the stuff used in diet drinks) or sugar (like the stuff that actually tastes good). The rats given saccharin gained more weight than the rats given sugar.

Why?

Because the rats given sugar didn't overeat as much as the saccharin rats. The saccharin appeared not to trigger the "full" feeling that was triggered in the sugar rats.

So everyone that's given me shit about drinking my regular, full-calorie Coca-colas can suck it. That includes my male boss who has been quoted as saying, "Wow... I didn't know anyone drank regular Coke anymore" and "A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips".

Also today, one of my friends brought me and another one of our friends a flourless chocolate tort. It was insanely good, but probably not very healthy (although, as she pointed out, it had tons of protein and antioxidants from the 9 eggs and tons of cocoa that went into the recipe). I got copied on the thank you from our other friend for hers. It said thank you and had tons of praise, but she said that she kept trying to start her diet because so many delicious things kept happening.

As an aside: she absolutely does not need to be on a diet.

Another friend was trying not to eat cheese for a week because so much of what she eats had cheese in it and she decided it wasn't good for her. After three days, she "fell off the wagon".

If we wait until nothing comes up, or we behave perfectly, we'll never start or continue anything. I think this is the problem with people thinking of dieting or exercising as "on the wagon" or "off the wagon".

People should strive to do the best they can, focus on the successes and not harp on the failures.

I never make vows like "I'm going to bring my lunch every day for a month" or "I'm going to work out every day for a week". I know that's not realistic for me, and I know once I've "fallen off the wagon", I say "Screw it" and I'm back to eating out and laying on my couch every day.

If we could all just learn the concept of more or less, rather than all or nothing, we'd all be happier, healthier people.

0 comments: